Business Litigation | Real Estate Litigation | Personal Injury | Civil Litigation
We provide a full range of litigation services in all Massachusetts and Rhode Island state and federal courts, as well as many administrative agencies i. We also regularly resolve disputes through alternative dispute resolution, including formal mediation and arbitration proceedings. Our experienced and forceful representation of clients goes beyond court appearances and document preparation to include practical strategic and tactical advice to develop creative and cost-effective solutions for resolving dispute.
Areas of experience include:
- Business litigation regarding breach of contract claims seeking monetary damages and/or injunctive relief
- Real estate & litigation including land use, title curative matters, and adverse possession
- Construction disputes and mechanic lien enforcemen
- Landlord-tenant disputes
- Professional malpractice
- Disputes among and within LLCs, corporations, and partnership
- Franchisor/franchisee disputes
- Will contest claims of undue influence & other probate litigation
- Consumer protection claims pursuant to Chapter 93A for unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Business debt collection
- Insurance defense for professionals, condo associations, and companies
- Zoning and building code litigation and appeals
- Shareholder derivative claims
Select representative matters include:
Trial Concerning Boston Parking Lot Construction Variance
- Goldman and Pease prevailed for our clients after a 4-day trial in Suffolk Superior Court challenging a building variance for a parking structure in South Boston. The variance, among other things, would have reduced our client’s property value by blocking natural sunlight and causing water drainage problems.
Arbitration Concerning Noncompetition and Licensing Agreements
- After five days of arbitration, Goldman & Pease successfully argued the unenforceability of several publishing licensing and noncompetition agreements. Plaintiffs were denied $500,000 in damages. Subsequently, we fought off Plaintiffs’ efforts to have the award vacated at Middlesex Superior Court, and the Court confirmed our client’s award for attorney’s fees.
Summary Judgement Regarding Commercial Lease Rent Reimbursement
- Our client, a large commercial tenant, sought rent reimbursement for overpayment for its Lowell office space. The commercial landlord unsuccessfully sued our client in Essex Superior Court arguing the lease contained a flat fixed fee. The Court found in our client’s favor, ruling that factual errors in the lease regarding the actual amount of square footage leased were decisive.
Trial Regarding Mutual Mistake in Conveyance of Two Properties
- A four-day trial in Suffolk Superior Court concerned whether a deed was intended to convey one lot or two. Our client, the purchaser of the lots, contended there was no mistake. After lengthy testimony by parties and witnesses, the Court held that the deedsaccurately memorialized the parties’ intentions to sell and buy both properties.
Summary Judgement for Home Purchaser Concerning Forged Documents
- In Bristol Superior Court our client, a national title insurance company, defended a breach of contract claim brought by an individual home purchaser. At the real estate closing, an unscrupulous seller/developer presented the unfortunate purchaser with a forged Certificate of Occupancy, which ultimately resulted in foreclosure of the property. Our client had no knowledge of or involvement in the forgery, and was awarded summary judgement. We additionally successfully defended the title insurer from a negligence claim alleging the purchaser had not been given the opportunity to buy enhanced title insurance.
- Representation of metal wholesaler with over $80 million dollars in annual sales in over 200 commercial collection matters.
- Obtained cash settlement of over $800,000.00 for a personal injury victim who was struck by a motor vehicle which had only $20,000.00 worth of bodily injury coverage.
Small Business Owners
- Obtained a settlement of over $200,000.00 after the first day of trial for a small business owner who sold his business and claimed that he was not adequately compensated by the buyer on the contingent purchase price.
- After five days of trial, wewon a judgment validating our client’s fathers will. Where an earlier will provided equally for both of the decedent’s children, the valid will bequeathed to our client only a substantial six figure distribution..
Lien to Secure Insurance Recovery Money
- Goldman & Pease liened a multifamily property to secure insurance recovery money from the 2018 Merrimack Valley Columbia Gas explosion, after the property owner then refused to a local contractor who repaired the property. The judgment in favor of our defendants was significant, and is possibly recoverable only after sale of the property.
Contact the litigation attorneys at Goldman & Pease for a case evaluation regarding your civil litigation matter.
Our lawyers handle all types of civil litigation cases including contract disputes, business litigation, real estate litigation and personal injury. We serve clients throughout the Greater Boston region including Allston, Arlington, Belmont, Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge, Canton, Dedham, Dover, Milton, Natick, Needham, Newton, Norwood, Waltham, Watertown, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, West Roxbury, Westwood, and all of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.